May 08, 2013

GOD'S PARENTS


Most of us who have sons or daughters must have great expectations for our children. We want them to be successful in life; have a good academic performance; have a great achievement outside of school; become a doctor, a pilot, an engineer, a great musician, etc. All these wishes are okay and acceptable for what we want is the best for them. But in order to make these dreams a reality, some parents "force" their children to give the best, to be the best. They put their children in expensive schools, they sign up their children to several private classes or courses, they demand their children to stay at home and spend their time only to study, study, and study. Some of them even teach their children like an army, yelling and beating their children when they can't answer questions.

I've met several children who have been treated that way. I saw that they did make great performance inside or outside school, but I also could see that they were under pressure. They could not enjoy life just like other children. They live according to the demand of their parents, to do the best, to be the best. They live only to please their parents. Seeing such condition, a question comes to my mind. "Is it the child who is embarrassed when they fail or can't be number one, or the parent?"

No parents want their children fail, but we do not live to force our children to be like what we want, we should be the protectors, advisors, and guides for them. We can have dreams for our children, but we have to appreciate them for their effort. We might plan great things for them according to our imagination for we think that they are the best plans for them. But, never forget that our dreams might not be God's dreams. What we have prepared for our children might be very different with their interests. God makes us parents in order to bring our children to His ways, to His dreams, to his wills.

Dear God, forgive me for having great demands for my children. I have imposed my will to them and forced them to be like what I want them to be. Give me a heart of a parent, a heart of a father, a heart of a mother. All I always want is the best for them, but sometimes I forgot what kind of "best" is the best for them. Help me to see Your plans in their lives, God, and help to be Your hands for them. Bless them, God, for I love them, and I know that You love them, too. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; 
instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Eph. 6:4

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Christian Daily Devotion Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger