January 16, 2013

I LIKE YOUR COLOR




We meet so many different people in life. I start to notice it when I work in my present workplace. Though it is not a big office with many staffs, I learn a lot of things from my working partners.

The differences among us, whether it is our habit or our character, always make the atmosphere at the office alive. I who used to be calm and uncommunicative, now tend to be used to their chats and jokes.

Yet, those differences do not always reap good things. Disagreement sometimes colors our communication, and triggers dislikeness. Then, the gossip begins!

Once my partner gave her opinion about the food we had given to the children we minister. Let me stress it for one more time, “gave opinion”. For me, she presented her idea nicely, without any tendency to be picky about food, or to lecture or underestimate anyone. My other partners were attentive to what she said and gave no comments. But on the next days, when she wasn’t with us, they gossiped and questioned her opinion.

On another chance, our treasurer joked about why certain budget was given directly (by our coordinator) to my friend, and not through her. In front of me, she presented it with teasing expression, for her face, tone, and body language did express that. Besides, what my coordinator did wasn’t a strange thing; he has done it several times in the past. But my friend didn’t think that way. He received it seriously, and unfortunately, started to be embittered by it.

My anger was also nearly triggered by the differences we have, but when I think of it, why should I be angry about it? I’m supposed to be grateful to know them, because they have taught me about patience, about appreciation, about love, about life. They just have difference attitude, different custom, different interest, different opinion, different way to express that opinion... that’s all. Is that wrong?

Life where people are respecting and loving one another is life that God wants, especially from the believers. Why don’t we train ourselves with all the differences around us... learn to understand it, and adapt to it. What I mean is not compromising to mistake and sin – I agree if we remind and reprimand the person with love – but to appreciate something different with us. Just imagine if everyone has the same habit and character, the world must have been boring. It is your color and mine that makes the world colorful, and beautiful.

God, teach me to appreciate the differences between me and people around me, and help me to love them as You have loved all of us. Thank you, God, Amen.

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Rom. 12:10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Christian Daily Devotion Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger